Friday, March 02, 2007

My Dream


For my psychology class we had to analyze a dream. I actually have wanted to share this dream (felt like it was blog worthy) so I am posting my assignment. I promise not to ever post a biology assignmnet!




A few months ago I had, what I have come to understand as an epic dream. According to Dream Dictionary (http://www.dreammoods.com/) an epic dream is so huge, so compelling, and so vivid that you cannot ignore it. The details of such dreams remain with you for years, as if your dreamt it last night. These dreams possess much beauty and contain many archetypal symbology. When you wake up from such a dream, you feel that you have discovered something profound or amazing about yourself or about the world. It feels like a life-changing experience.


My dream began with several of my close friends and family gathered around me on the ruf top of a building. More and more people that I knew continued to come up (even people that I have not seen or thought about in years). I was having so much fun talking and seeing people. This went on for a long time until I finally noticed a crowd had gathered below. It appeared that the audience (all people that I didn’t know) was staring at something below us that we were not able to see from the top of this building. There was such awe in the faces of those gathered below and those of us on the building were so unaware of what was going on. I decided to walk down from the rough top and see what was going on. To my amazement there stood Jesus in glowing white with his arms outstretched. The color was such an intense white. I walked through the crowd until I was at his feet and bowed down. At that moment the crowd below began to do the same.


I feel that the dream was a reflection of my personal struggle with my purpose as a Christian. During the time of this dream I was experiencing some stretching in my beliefs. I was feeling that “churches” were so mixed up in “church” that we were forgetting Jesus. We were so busy socializing in the dream that we didn’t see the crowd and even more disturbing to me was that we didn’t realize that Jesus was so close. The dream symbolized the loyalties and comfort that I felt while with my closest friends and family, but the pull that I feel to help others see and understand Jesus. Just as the definition of the epic dream states, I feel that I discovered something profound and amazing. I’m not sure that I consciously was getting my mind around everything that I was feeling, but after the dream I felt a lot of clarity. Maybe our minds work out problems better when it has the ability to roam free without our distractions. I seem to find little time in the day to truly allow my mind to process. I believe that is why we NEED to dream.

1 comment:

The Preacher's Household: said...

Very interesting, I especially agree with your last couple of sentences.

I know that I am too busy to think freely because I do not always allow myself to do it over night. I dream things like there is a problem with my cell phone so I really get up and unplug it and move it. I often wake up while I am doing something active. It makes sleeping with me an adventure.
Your point about Jesus was well taken.
Kathy