Friday, March 09, 2007

There is a difference between being LIKE Jesus and being CLOSE to Jesus


Well, I finally completed my 10 week study of the life of Jesus. I have read and studied and been taken down a completely different path in understanding. When I started on this journey I really believed that is was so that I would better understand how to be more like Jesus. It has taken me till just this morning to realize what a benefit my imperfections really are. It is the one thing that Jesus can’t do. He can’t be imperfect. He never told us to be. I just kept looking for that scripture to say “YOU MUST BE PERFECT AS I AM PERFECT,” but it’s not there. He said a lot of things about loving people, and obeying God, and giving to others, but never expected us to live perfectly. As I strive to be closer to him, I will still have my stumbling moments. The funny thing is that it is when I feel so imperfect that someone else sees a way to relate and suddenly we connect and journey together. Now I’m not suggesting that we cover our lives in “wrongness” just so that we can pick up others on the way, but I’m afraid that covering ourselves in “rightness” can be just as harmful. It is not his wish or command that I be perfect, but to bring others to him. He will do the rest!

Mark 12:28

"Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"
"The most important one” answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."

8 comments:

TREY MORGAN said...

Monica ... I once heard a speaker at a workshop point his finger at us and say we've got to be like Jesus. I remember my heart hurting, thinking, "I'll never be like Jesus."

I still can't when it comes to being perfect. Thanks for the reminder.

Also, when you going to come see me? I need a "Smart Family" fix.

Mommysmart said...

I have heard a few speakers like that, too. It is a very unrealistic goal. We should just strive to know him better.

Funny you should ask, we will be there sunday after next. The kids are going to stay with the grandparents for a few days (spring break) and then we will be there on the weekend.

See ya soon!

TREY MORGAN said...

Looking forward to seeing you guys....

TREY MORGAN said...

I had to come over here and look. Yep, it's pink. I never noticed it. Maybe it's not "overwhelming" pink like Lisa's.

Lisa said...

Yeah, not so many flowers here. :) You know, pink's not so hard on the eyes as bright, neon yellow. ;)

(I feel like I'm following Trey around tonight! LOL)

TREY MORGAN said...

Bright "Safety Green" or Neon Yellow is the coolest color IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD.

Mommysmart said...

Trey and Lisa,

I think that I'm going to have to separate you two. I liked Lisa's pink blog. I have to say that I feel boring compared to the two of you, I may just have to change mine, too.

Lisa said...

Monica, you've found a lot of cool extras to go in your sidebar ... not to mention your posts are anything but boring. IMHO, you have no need to change anything!!