Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A tribute to my mom


There are so many great things about my mom that I can hardly put them all on one internet and certainly would limit myself if I tried on one post. The most amazing thing is how much more I understand her as I get older. There were some things that it has taken me 31 years to completely comprehend. Here are a few momisms that become clearer everyday.....


We need to clean the house - I always thought that our house was clean. I wasn't tripping on anything. Besides if I clean, I may mess up my nails. Now today I know that if the blinds, baseboards, and ceiling fans are dusty then the house is not clean. For the record, my nails haven't been polished in years.


We just can't have anything nice - If you are a mom and never said this one, then kudos to you. I believe that it is the "mom's right" to practice this one everytime anything is broken, lost, or destroyed. As a kid only my room contained my stuff, so I rarely had any emotional attatchment to anything in the rest of the house. As a mom, I have valuables all throughout the house. When the ball is getting tossed around and my large elephant (that I painted myself) gets broken, then I usually pull out the line........ oh........ and stomp my foot.


We need to hurry - I'm not really sure that this word even exists to kids. They hear it come from their mother's lips, but it means nothing. My grandmother has a plaque in her bathroom that says how long a minute is depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on. I guess that time is really relative to where YOU are in life.


Did you tell them thank you? - I did this out of habbit and sometimes out of being reminded and really never completely understood what the big deal was. This was a great lesson from my mom and now I see how important it is to teach thankfullness to our children. How can they ever appreciate their Jesus if they don't understand how to be thankful.


This is for your own good - I really used to hate this one, the old tough love line. Good to me as a child meant getting what I wanted when I wanted it. "For my own good" turned out to be her greatest gift to me. I am a better person today because of this lesson. I think that she must have borrowed this directly from God. I know that he has often told me "no" only to bring to me a greater good. As a parent, I also undertand that sometimes this one brings heartache to me, too.


To my mom.....


I thank God for you! You have been my friend, my confidante, my hero, and most importantly a Godly parent. I'm sure that I have often broken your heart, but until now I never really understood your enormous love for me. As I strive to be the parent that God wants me to be I find myself looking to your example and hoping that I can be like you now that I am all grown up.

12 comments:

Stachia said...

What a GREAT post! Your Mom is a wonderful person who I have the upmost respect and am so blessed to have had her take care of my kids.

Neva said...

Beautiful---I know your Mom is such a blessing to you. I think one day we will be reading a tribute to you from your own children.

peace
neva

TREY MORGAN said...

You do have a great mom. She is so wise. How could we live without "momisms?"

As for your mom being a wonderful mom, wife and Christian lady ... I see her in you. Or as they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Anonymous said...

Great job, Monica. She sounds like a super woman and a great example to you. I may not know her, but from your post, I'm pretty confident in saying that you're a lot like her. Godly mothers are such a blessing to us, aren't they?!

The Preacher's Household: said...

Your mom should be honored - a great post and it is not even Mother's Day yet.
K

Anonymous said...

That's kinda what I was thinking, Kathy ... I wrote what I hoped was a nice post for my mom on her birthday and I thought that's what Monica was doing. But since Monica didn't say "Happy Birthday, Mom," I guess she was just randomly thinking, "I want to honor my mom today." What a nice daughter!!

TREY MORGAN said...

And she makes a fantastic cheese cake. Which I haven't got to try in a long time. (thought I'd throw that in seeing how she'll probably read this)

Mommysmart said...

Hey thanks everyone! No special occasion, just a special mom.

Stachia said...

If Trey is going to throw a request for cheesecake then I am going to throw out a request for Italian Cream cake.... hers are the best.

Mommysmart said...

Trey and Stachia,

You guys are subtle, so in case you didn't get that, Mom, I think they want a cake. I don't know for sure but she may be up for bartering. You know, like....

*you work a day at Kids' Korner and she makes a cake

*there is also the house cleaning laundry thing

*or mowing

*or back rubs....umm...no she wouldn't want that

I cut and color her hair for food. So you can bet if her hair looks good I have just gained 5 lbs. She cooks alot for sick people, too, so you may want to get sick (at least until you get your cake).

She is the best cook in the world.

TREY MORGAN said...

Okay ... I'll cut and color her hair for Cheese Cake! It's a deal.

I'm thinking the color or NASCAR red!

The Preacher's Household: said...

Mommysmart Momma,
RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! Trey is on the loose with NASCAR red hair dye!
RUN MOMMA RUN!
k