Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Prayer for faith


By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at your command (Heb. 11:3), it was by faith that Enoch was taken up to heaven without dying—“he disappeared, because you took him.” (Heb. 11:5), it was by faith that even Sarah was able to have a child, though she was barren and was too old (Heb. 11:11), it was by faith that the people of Israel went right through the Red Sea as though they were on dry ground, it was by faith that the people of Israel marched around Jericho for seven days, and the walls came crashing down (Heb. 11: 29-30). How much more do I need to say? It would take too long to recount the stories of the faith of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel, and all the prophets. By faith these people overthrew kingdoms, ruled with justice, and received what God had promised them. They shut the mouths of lions, quenched the flames of fire, and escaped death by the edge of the sword. Their weakness was turned to strength. They became strong in battle and put whole armies to flight. Women received their loved ones back again from death. (Heb. 11:32-35). (NLT)


Dear Lord, creator of all life and my father,
Your design for my life is perfect. Give me faith like all these whose lives reflect your blessings. Gently break my heart so that I may see clearly what you need me to see. Put those people into my life that will hold my hand as you lead me and bless them as they obey your commands. Live in my heart and in my mind so that I will understand your will. Protect me from all harm not intended to fulfill your promise in my life. Give me faith! And Lord, though I may understand who you are, I am still learning who I am not.

No comments: