Wednesday, December 20, 2006


Mary and Joseph
by John Fischer

Mary: Joseph, my beloved, come walk with me a while;I have something to share with you this evening.An angel of God has appeared unto me,And this is the greeting that he gave me:“The Spirit of God has overcome youAnd you shall bear his child.And you shall call his name, Jesus,For he’ll save his people from sin.”

Joseph: Mary, O Mary, how can this be true?How can I believe the words you’re saying?I’ve kept you a virgin, but now you are with child.How can I be sure you are not lying?

Mary: Joseph, O Joseph, I’ve loved no other man,And I serve only one God, Jehovah.Please know I am not deceiving you,I am only believing in his promise.“The Spirit of God has overcome me,And I shall bear his child.And I shall call his name, Jesus,For he’ll save his people from sin.”

Joseph: Mary, my beloved, come walk with me a while,I have something to share with you this morning.An angel of God has appeared unto me,And this is the greeting that he gave me:“The Spirit of God has overcome herAnd she will bear his child.And you shall call his name, Jesus,For he’ll save his people from sin.”

Mary: “The Spirit of God has overcome meAnd I shall bear his child.

Both: And we shall call his name, Jesus,For he’ll save his people from sin.”
This incredible trial of faith has been dramatized in many ways since that first Christmas, but this rendition by singer/songwriter Pam Mark Hall is especially poignant. It captures the risk Mary took to remain true to the word delivered to her by the angel of the Lord, and the difficulty Joseph had believing her. It’s unclear how long she had this news without it being confirmed by Joseph’s own angelic encounter. It was long enough for him to attempt to break off the engagement (Matthew 1:19).

Mary must have been tempted at times to doubt her own memory of that heavenly visit, especially when trying to explain things to Joseph and face the inevitable public disgrace. The questions and accusations, both spoken and unspoken, must have been a challenge. She must have wished, at times, that everyone in town had received a visit by the same angel. Still, she was content knowing the quiet miracle was growing inside her.

There is a quiet miracle growing inside all who believe. Christ has been reborn in us by faith. Trust in the miracle. Draw on his presence today. And like Mary, believe it in spite of the fact that not everyone receives the same information.

No comments: