Wednesday, November 19, 2008

No More Bubbles.....at least for 30 days

If you know me well, you know that I ususally have a Diet Dr. Pepper in my hand. I am not just a girl who likes to have one from time to time, but rather a "chain drinker". I have been known to make a trip to the grocery store in the middle of the night in my PJ's to make sure that I don't wake up without one. I barely have my eyes open when I take my first few drinks. Anyway, you get it....I have an addiction.Thanks to Bruce and his 30 day challenge.....I have been without the bubbles for 10 days now. I didn't replace it with another soda. I still have my coffee, but the rest of the day is water and tea. Here was his challenge.....

A WORD FROM BRUCE

A powerful personal growth tool is the 30-day trial. This is a concept borrowed from the shareware industry, where you can download a trial version of a piece of software and try it out risk-free for 30 days before you’re required to buy the full version. It’s also a great way to develop new habits, and best of all, it’s simple. Let’s say you want to start a new habit like an exercise program or quit a bad habit. We all know that getting started and sticking with the new habit for a few weeks is the hard part. Once you’ve overcome inertia, it’s much easier to keep going. Yet we often psyche ourselves out of getting started by mentally thinking about the change as something permanent — before we’ve even begun. It seems too overwhelming to think about making a big change and sticking with it every day for the rest of your life when you’re still habituated to doing the opposite. The more you think about the change as
something permanent, the more you stay put. But what if you thought about making the change only temporarily — say for 30 days — and then you’re free to go back to your old habits? That doesn’t seem so hard anymore. Exercise daily for just 30 days, then quit. Maintain a neatly organized desk for 30 days, then slack off. Read for an hour a day for 30 days, then go back to watching TV. Could you do it? It still requires a bit of discipline and
commitment, but not nearly so much as making a permanent change. Any perceived deprivation is only temporary. For at least 30 days, you’ll gain some benefit. It’s not so bad. You can handle it. It’s only one month out of your life.

To be perfectly honest, I waited to blog about this after I was past the "withdrawal" stage. I know that there are no scientific studies that actually prove that overdosing with diet sodas is a health concern. However, I have to say that I feel better than I have in a long time. I have more energy, I am less tired, and I have found that my mind does not feel so clouded. What would you change for 30 days?


4 comments:

Toby Tucker said...

Congrats...I quit drinking cokes and man what a difference...I still have a cherry lime every now and then...good job!

Liss and MOMMY said...

I use to always have a Dr.Pepper. Now with the kidney stone thing I haven't had any in a long time. I have one every once and always regret it afterwards. They just don't taste good anymore.

TREY MORGAN said...

Parker and I gave up cokes (Him- DP and Me - Diet Coke) a month ago. It's been a little easier having some accountability with him on this.

It HAS made a difference. Keep it up!

Oh, and watch out for the Bruce guy - I hear he's a little off the wall in what he believes. I think it must have been how he was raised.

:)

Amanda Kirkpatrick said...

kudos!!! there are several things i need to give up for 30 days......maybe i will get started on that on monday! ;)